My Dog Ate Silica Gel- Now What?


Silica gel can be found in many food products, electronics, bags and leather products. It’s meant to absorb water vapor from the air to prevent food molding or causing harm to electronic devices.

What Is It Made Of?

We’ve all seen these small packs of silica beads or gel that are labeled “Do Not Consume”.

Silica gel or silicon dioxide (SiO2) is basically a porous sand. It has a lot of tiny holes that absorb and hold moisture, which is why it’s a desiccant. It can also be found in nature in quartz.

Eating silica isn’t all that bad as it’s not a bunch of harmful chemicals.

My Dog Ate It

Now you saw your dog chew on a pack of silica beads and he might have eaten a few beads or the whole thing?

Despite the common “Do Not Consume” label silica beads are not toxic.

If your dog ate some depending on how much he ate there could be some irritation to the respiratory or digestive tract.

In some cases, the bag of the beads may cause more harm to your dog than the beads itself. They could cause a blockage in your dog so be sure to watch that your dog is not showing any signs of discomfort, internal blockage, and constipation.

If your dog also ate the beads or some of them be sure to also watch your dog for other symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite.

Be sure to especially watch your dog for any symptoms if you have a smaller dog as they are often more susceptible then larger breeds.

In any case, take your dog to the vet if you notice any symptoms or changes in behavior.

Lisa

I'm Lisa. I grew up with a Yorkshire Terrier, recently got an Aussiedoodle puppy and have learned a lot of things over the many years. I created this website to help you with your puppy and dog-related troubles and share the information I learned about my dogs Fluffy and Teddy.

Recent Content