My Dog Ate Candy Corn- Now What?


Can Dogs Eat Candy Corn?

If your dog ate candy corn they will most likely get an upset stomach and may vomit it back out or get diarrhea afterward. It’s not toxic for dogs but its definitely not healthy.

If your dog ate so much that he is now vomiting, that’s good because it’s not in his body anymore. Don’t give him any more regular food until he is feeling better, try to get him to drink plenty of water and your dog should be fine.

Impact Of Sugar On Dogs

Giving dogs sugar that is present in normal veggies or dog food is alright but you shouldn’t give your dog sugar in the form of candy. Sugar can have the same effect on dogs as it also has on us humans. Dogs can gain a substantial amount of weight and even become obese (yes dog obesity is a thing) if given lots of sugar. Dogs can even become diabetic as humans can as well. Giving your dog sweets can result in them getting an upset stomach, vomiting and getting diarrhea.

Artificial Sweeteners

Some candy can contain artificial sweeteners such as xylitol which is toxic to dogs and should never be fed to them. Xylitol can cause a rapid drop in blood sugar as well as liver failure which can both be life-threatening to your pooch. Xylitol is most often consumed by dogs when sugar-free gum is left out and eaten by the dog and sometimes even peanut butter can contain it. Be sure to always read the labels and keep all foods and candy containing xylitol far away from your dog.

Lisa

I'm Lisa. I grew up with a Yorkshire Terrier, recently got an Aussiedoodle puppy and have learned a lot of things over the many years. I created this website to help you with your puppy and dog-related troubles and share the information I learned about my dogs Fluffy and Teddy.

Recent Content