My Dog Ate A Candle- Now What?


Your dog wanted to be part of your candlelight dinner and got a little too excited about the candle? Your dog ate some of your candles after stealing it from your table? Your dog wanted a piece of your birthday cake that had a candle on it?

Let’s see which candles could cause your dog trouble.

Can Dogs Eat Candles?

A wax candle should be harmless to your dog. If you know that your dog ate/swallowed a big piece you should be aware that it could get stuck somewhere on the way back out. The wax itself should be harmless but could potentially cause some trouble.

If your dog also ate the wick, be sure to make sure that passes all the way through and is not obstructing his airways. If your dog ate a lit candle, check his mouth and face for burns. Generally larger breeds are more resilient to eating foreign objects than smaller breeds are.

Burned Gums

If your dog has a burned mouth, gums or face be sure to call your vet to get aid in treatment. Burns are difficult to treat especially on mucous membranes.

Types Of Wax And Their Digestion

Usually, candle wax is mostly composed of paraffin wax. There are also other candles that are made with beeswax or soy wax candles. All wax types are water-resistant and can therefore not be digested but should just pass through your dog’s digestive tract.

Although bigger pieces might not make it all the way through and get stuck, as they won’t be broken down into smaller parts.

Eating Scented Candles

Scented candles could be toxic for your dog when eaten. If your dog ate a scented candle you should definitely call your vet to be on the safe side. Watch your dog for stomach related symptoms which could be: vomiting, diarrhea, an upset stomach or stomach pain and other neurological symptoms which could be: dilated pupils, unequally dilated pupils, balance problems, shaking or seizures.

If you notice any of these symptoms call your vet immediately.

Essential Oils

These oils are usually only present in low quantities in candles but can still be harmful to dogs. If you know that the candle contained essential oils, especially:

  • Tee tree oil
  • Cinnamon oil
  • Citrus oil
  • Sweet birch oil
  • wintergreen oil
  • pine oil

..be sure to visit or call your vet as soon as possible. These oils can cause your dog harm. Symptoms of essential oil poisoning in your dog can include muscle spasms, burned tongue, vomiting and difficulty breathing. Also, make sure that a wax piece or perhaps the wick isn’t blocking your dog’s airways.

Conclusion

If your dog managed to snag a candle from your table while you weren’t looking, be sure to observe him for behavioral changes and take him to the vet immediately if you notice any. Take a look at the candle to see if the wick is still attached or not and check for essential oils that could be harmful to your pup.

If your dog is eating absolutely everything read my article where I talk about the training methods to stop dogs munching down on everything that gets in their way.

Lisa

I'm Lisa. I grew up with a Yorkshire Terrier, recently got an Aussiedoodle puppy and have learned a lot of things over the many years. I created this website to help you with your puppy and dog-related troubles and share the information I learned about my dogs Fluffy and Teddy.

Recent Content